Monday 7 March 2011

I love Jaws. Such a great film.

Jaws must be one of my favourite films. It must be because I must have seen it more than a dozen times. Through choice I may add. I love it simply because it's such a great film. In that it's so well made. Every part of it is excellent. The script. The story. The music. The acting. The atmosphere. The setting. And of course the direction. It's just a wonderful film. And it was no surprise to hear Steven Spielberg say a lot of the time he was just a young guy playing it by ear, still learning his trade. A lot of the time he wasn't quite sure what he was doing. It's one of those works of art which becomes great when everything just comes together. And so often great works of art happen when a great artist does something by throwing stuff together and seeing what happens. Jaws is one of those times. A great film by a director learning what film is capable of.

P.S. I won't mention the rubber shark which is admittedly the films weak point. Then again even with a completely unrealistic shark it's still a great film.  

No comments: