Saturday 19 February 2011

I love Formula 1. I don't know why. I can't stand cars. That may sound like a contradiction but it's not really. Formula 1 is about a lot more than just cars. It's about colour, glamour, exotic and less exotic locations. It's about the history of the teams and the drivers. It's the ups and downs of the championship. It's about the technology and the speed. The cars for me are important but just one part of the whole Formula 1 experience.

But like I said in general I can't stand cars. I've failed my driving test five times. Not just because I'm a rubbish driver. Although that may have something to do with it. But I just don't really get the whole driving thing. I was spurred on to get a driving license by friends who told me 'oh once you have a car it means you have so much freedom.' 'You can go anywhere any time, no more waiting for buses.' 'I couldn't live without my car' etc. So I gave in and took lessons. I'm fine driving. I just feel that when it comes to taking the test I subconsciously want to fail it. I just can't stand cars. I see nothing but traffic jams everywhere. Pollution. Noise. I find it ludicrous there's so many cars on the road all with one person inside. And I cycle everywhere. I love cycling. Especially through traffic jams. I feel healthy, free, happy when I cycle. Something I don't feel when driving.

And now with the ever rising cost of running a car it seems in failing my driving test I had a lucky escape. Fuel, insurance and all the rest of it. No news bulletin is complete without interviewing a depressed and miserable sounding motorist in the midst of filling up his car while he bemoans the fact he is not dead.

Anyway in spite of not liking cars I like Formula 1. And I was looking forward to the first Grand Prix in Bahrain. Although I don't think it should go ahead at the moment. A regime that fires on it's own people doesn't deserve the honour of having a Formula 1 race. It deserves cars but not Formula 1. But when the Formula 1 season does start, possibly in Australia now, I'll be up at 5am watching and enjoying. Quietly glad I never did learn to drive myself.

No comments: