Saturday 12 February 2011

I watched the last Episode of Not Going Out on Thursday. I thought it was atrocious. What made it so bad is that the programme used to be so good. In fact after the BBC decided to cancel it after the last series I signed as many on-line petitions as I could to get it back on the TV. I kind of wish I didn't now. There's been some some good episodes or more accurately some highlights during this series. But the storylines have got sillier and dafter and have completely lost the essence of what made the first few series so good. Usually (in general I find) with sitcoms the episodes deemed the best are shown first and last to make a good impression. The weaker ones are shown second or third for example. Yet last night last episode was the worst in my view. It was a dream sequence. A kiss of death in most sitcoms and a sure sign the writer has ran out of ideas. Lee Mack's character (Le)e was in a coma so we seen, in a kind of Life on Mars way, Lee in various dream situations which of course included Lucy trying to seduce him all the time, his father (Bobby ball appearing in drag and as a lapdancer etc...The jokes weren't funny and the whole thing stank of desperation. The point is it's such a disappointment to see a really good series end on such a low. And if the BBC decide to cancel it then I don't think I'll be signing any more petitions to bring it back.

No comments: