Sunday 13 February 2011

I'm not impressed by Wayne Rooney.

Wayne Rooney scored a very good goal yesterday. It was an overhead kick straight into the top right hand corner of the net. It was a good goal. A winning goal. Against United's Manchester rivals Manchester City no less. But by the way the commentators and media are going on you would think it was one of the greatest goals scored in all time. They all talk about the 'wonder goal!'. A piece of genius. Extraordinary! Amazing! Already it's been described as possibly the goal of the decade. You'd think Wayne Rooney had jumped in in air did a double pirouette, a triple back somersault, a song and dance number from Chicago, read extracts from Katie Price's latest novel 'Reading for Dummies', and then deliberately hit the ball into the back of the net with his ear. He didn't. It was an overhead kick. It was a good goal. Nothing more. Get over it.

Apart from that Wayne Rooney could have done a triple back somersault and all the rest and I still wouldn't have been impressed. Partly because it was Wayne Rooney who scored it. This is the man who slagged off the England fans when they booed him and his England team-mates for being rubbish. (Even as a Scot I could see the unfairness in slagging off the people who go out their way to support you). This is the man who pays a lower rate of tax than I do on the millions he earns through deliberately using a tax loophole. This is the man who held Man United to ransom so he could get a hundred percent pay rise up to £180, 000 a week. This is the man who cheated on his pregnant wife by sleeping with prostitutes. So even if Wayne Rooney does score a good score, well an overhead kick at least, I couldn't really care. All I see is the celebration afterwards he does in the pose of the messiah or someone who thinks he is. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I'm not impressed. I'm not impressed by Wayne Rooney.

No comments: